Social Media Week is upon us in the United Kingdom and what better way to mark it than by giving it a little bit of a gracing nod in this weeks news?
By now it should be no surprise to anybody that social media is one of the top marketing tools any online marketing strategist has at their fingertips to spread the word and get a client’s message out there. The reasons for this are numerous, too numerous to name them all, but the basic idea is that social media reaches people directly, individually, in a way that other forms of online marketing just can’t.
But, as anybody can see simply from surfing the net, there are a plethora of social media sites out there, and, if you are somebody who’s only just entering the world of internet marketing, it can be very confusing. Why are there so many? Who uses them? What functions do they all have? How popular are they? How much do they affect real time sales? If you want to hear some astounding facts and figures on the true power of social media in 2013, then take a look at some of the stats and statistics provided by Erik Qualman.
- With over a billion people registered as Facebook users, if it were a country, it would have the third largest population in the world, more than the USA, Canada, Russia and Brazil, only being beaten by India and the world’s largest population, China.
- With over 50% of the world’s population being under 30 years old, social media activity has become the number one web activity in the world, yet in China, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Google are all banned.
- Social Media are the new matchmakers; 1 in in 5 couples meet online, 3 of every 5 gay couples meet online and adversely, 1 in 5 divorces are blamed on Facebook
- The Ford Explorer Launch ad on Facebook was viewed more times than the average Superbowl ad
- 69% of parents (your main consumer) are friends with their kids on social media and 92% of children under the age of 2 cast a digital shadow (already somehow mentioned online)
- Every second 2 new members join LinkedIn – that’s the equivalent of the number of people in the Ivy League University system every day
- YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world and sees 72 hours of new video uploaded every minute.
- If Wikipedia’s entries were crafted into a book it would break records at 2.25 million pages
- If you’re looking to target women, Pinterest is your best bet as 97% of Pinterest fans are women
- Twitter: Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Katy Perry have more followers on Twitter than the populations of Germany, Turkey, South Africa, Canada, Argentina and Egypt.
- Consider that 90% of consumers trust peer recommendations and only 14% trust advertisers then consider that 53% of Twitter users use their accounts to endorse products. Food for thought?
- 93% of marketers use social media for business
There you have it. These facts and statistics prove that social media is a power to be reckoned with in the world of online marketing. If you don’t start taking advantage, who knows how much business you could be losing?